Party people


My dear friend the Canon Chancellor of St Paul’s Cathedral, Revd. Giles Fraser, has been on the radio again. This time to suggest that too many weddings are about narcissism and self-promotion and can end-up as expensive, overblown vanity projects. Well, I think that is a bit ‘bah, humbug’!

Here at St Stephen’s, the wedding season is in full swing with seven weddings taking place this month alone. I have to say that I love taking weddings and even find myself getting a bit emotional, as I hear the couples exchanging their vows.

When I think back to the day that Helen and I were wed it really was a special day and yes, we did push the boat out and had a lot of friends and family around us but I don’t regret a bit of it. Especially not the keg of Timothy Taylor Landlord ale which we ordered especially to ensure that our guests were suitably refreshed for the barn dance.

Celebrations are important and in a society that is, at times, worryingly insular anything that brings together family and friends, celebrates lifelong commitment and builds up our community has got to be a good thing.

As it says in the opening preface to the wedding ceremony, “Our Lord Jesus Christ was himself a guest at a wedding in Cana of Galilee” and it is worth remembering what he did there. Our’s is a God who is in favour of parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment