Lenten Devotions


Over the next couple of weeks we honour two great Anglican priests and writers. Firstly, Thomas Cranmer is remembered on the 21st March; Archbishop of Canterbury, author of the first prayer book in English and a martyr of the Reformation. Then on 31st. March we remember John Donne; poet, priest and Dean of St Paul’s. Below you will find two of their prayers, written a century apart as Anglicanism emerged from the Reformation, which have stood the test of time and which I hope will aid our own Lenten devotions;

O THOU Who in almighty power wast meek, and in perfect excellency wast lowly, grant unto us the same mind, that we may mourn over our evil will. Our bodies are frail and fading; our minds are blind and froward; all that we have which is our own is naught; if we have any good in us it is wholly Thy gift. O Saviour, since Thou, the Lord of heaven and earth, didst humble Thyself, grant unto us true humility, and make us like Thyself; and then, of Thine infinite goodness, raise us to Thine everlasting glory; Who livest and reignest with the Father and the Holy Ghost for ever and for ever. Amen. 
Thomas Cranmer


WILT Thou forgive that sin where I begun, Which was my sin, though it were done before? Wilt Thou forgive that sin through which I run, And do run still, though still I do deplore? When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done; For I have more.
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I have won others to sin, and made my sins their door? Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shu. A year or two, but wallow’d in a score? When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done; For I have more.
I have a sin of fear, that when I’ve spun my last thread, I shall perish on the shore; But swear by Thyself that at my death, Thy Son Shall shine as He shines now and heretofore: And having done that, Thou hast done; I fear no more.


No comments:

Post a Comment